Oatmeal Date Cookies
|November 11, 2011||Posted by Nada under Recipes|
A promise is a promise!
This will unfortunately have to be a quick one as I have a very long and busy Friday ahead of me, but I just couldn’t leave without sharing the recipe to my latest baking obsession (yes, two batches in the space of one week constitutes an obsession).
Oatmeal Date Cookies
(Loosely based on this Oh She Glows recipe)
- 1 and 1/4 cup walnuts – toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 cups oats
- 3/4 cup of flour (made up of wholewheat pastry flour and plain all purpose flour in equal parts)*
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar or brown sugar**
- 1t baking soda
- 1 heaping tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4t nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup*
- 3 T soy milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 3.5 T coconut oil OR vegan margarine
- 2t alcohol free vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1 T date molasses (optional)
- Toast the walnuts in the oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown – keep a watchful eye on them as they can burn quite quickly. Allow to cool then pulse in a food processor until roughly chopped.
- To the food processor, add the flour, 1 cup of oats, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt then process to combine. You may want to switch to a plastic mixing blade if you have one.
- In a bowl combine the melted coconut oil or margarine, vanilla, flax egg, soy milk and maple syrup. Add the wet ingredients mixture to the food processor and combine.
- Once well mixed, transfer the dough to a separate bowl and mix in the last cup of oats and the chopped dates.
- Measure out the cookies by taking 2 tablespoons of dough to make a ball. Flatten and place on a baking sheet. You can definitely make half a batch and freeze the rest to make later if you don’t want to make too many.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 170 C, then transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Enjoy the chewy, buttery and cinnamon goodness that is this cookie.
Twice in the space of a week – no kidding. This is only one of 3 vegan cookie varieties that have taken over my kitchen as of recently, but it’s definitely the best in my eyes. Also, they received rave reviews from veggies and omnis alike, so I know it’s not just my fixation with the date-walnut-cinnamon combo that makes these cookies irresistible. That said, this is probably my dream combination of flavours in cookie form.
What would be in your dream cookie?
Have a great weekend all!