Classic Chocolate Chip Pancakes
|November 21, 2011||Posted by Nada under Recipes|
When I have multiple recipes to share in my arsenal, my internal dialogue goes a little something like this:
So a little story to preface this recipe.
When I woke up yesterday I was determined to make chocolate chip pancakes. Thanks to some pre-emptive grocery shopping on saturday I already had the necessary ingredients so no impromptu Sunday morning trips to ASDA in my pyjamas were needed. Only one problem – I had no recipe.
So I consulted google for a foolproof vegan chocolate chip pancake recipe – and came across various recipes for which probably would’ve worked fine, but they all seemed a bit..much. Too many mix-ins, pumpkin chocolate chip, banana peanut butter chocolate chip, oatmeal chocolate chip etc.
All I wanted was a good old plain recipe! Sometimes vegan cooking can be a little too inventive, dare I say.
Anyways, after much ado, I decided to just use my cooking intuition and wing it. I mean really, with chocolate chips involved – what’s the worst that can happen?
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Serves 2 (or makes 6-7 medium pancakes)
- 1 cup of wholewheat pastry flour
- 1 heaping tsp of baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or agave nectar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil – melted
- 3/4 cup of rice milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1 flax “egg”
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients (vanilla essence, coconut oil, rice milk and flax egg) with the brown sugar then mix in with the flour using a wooden spoon. Be sure not to over-mix, I’ve found this is the secret to truly amazing pancakes.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then add the batter in 1/4 cup increments to a greased pan on low-medium heat. As always, flip once the edges are set and little bubbles start to form.
As always, wait until the edges are set and little bubbles start to form before flipping.
Serve with vanilla flavoured banana soft-serve, maple syrup and some fresh berries.
I know I probably say this every time I make new pancakes – but these are definitely my best yet!
The roommate wholeheartedly agreed.
What do you prefer – pancakes or muffins?
It’s Monday – what are you looking forward to this week?
Ps. I’m thinking of making some design changes to the blog – what do/don’t you like about the current layout? Let me know if you have any feedback at all!