Posts Tagged by mudardara
|November 30, 2011||Posted by Nada under Recipes, WIAW|
Today’s post will be a hybrid of sorts. Part WIAW, and part recipe which I originally meant to share yesterday but didn’t as a result of the bane of my existence my dissertation. Breakfasty type things: Buckwheatie cereal Greeen smoothies <3 Snack-y type things: Dried banana chips – so much better than the fried stuff. […] Read more
Brown Rice Mujadarra/Mudardara
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup brown rice (I used long grain but any type would work)
- 1 medium onion – roughly chopped + 1/2 an onion cut into rings for grilling
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tbsp cumin powder, divided
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T coconut oil (or other oil for frying)
- 3 cups water
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1T white wine vinegar (optional)
- In a pan, sautee the chopped onions in some oil on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Add in the rice and lentils and stir quickly to prevent any sticking and add the water in immediately. Add in the salt and pepper, half the cumin powder, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on a low heat for about 35 minutes. Add the rest of the cumin powder then cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until the lentils are al dente (not too mushy) and rice is fluffy.
- Spray the onion rings with some oil and grill in the oven for 5-10 minutes until crispy. If desired, soak the grilled onions to the vinegar, or just top sans vinegar.